The "Status of Civil Registration and Vital Statistics in South Asia" report documents the policies, systems and procedures in place for the registration of birth, death and marriage in South Asia.
The report’s objectives are to:
- Present information on the birth, death, and marriage registration policies, systems and procedures of each country obtained through a desk review and a series of semi-structured interviews with UNICEF staff in country and regional offices, representatives of other UN agencies, relevant stakeholders and civil registration experts;
- Present information validated by relevant government officials within each country either directly or through UNICEF country offices;
- Compile copies of sample birth, death and marriage registration documents for each country;
- Deliver a final report that summarizes findings and the data collection process; and,
- Identify problems and barriers related to registration of births, deaths and marriages in required time, costs, procedures, distances, etc.